A week or so ago I finished my 100 days of happiness tweeting. It was harder than I'd thought. Partly because at the end of a day I often felt too tired to think about the day, or to tweet. Some days were just bad...and some days it was just really hard to think about what actually made me happy. Those were the days the task was made for, I think...the days when everything is fine, nothing felt outstanding and you take that for granted...how happy I should be that life is simple, easy, I have enough of what I need. The task is complete and when I reflect on it I realise I am a very, very lucky person. Surprisingly, I found that I am missing the challenge. So I have been thinking about what next and I have hit upon another idea…
So what is this all about? Well it is hopefully super simple. For 100 days I am going to work to reduce my plastic use and at the end of each day post on twitter, one way I have done this under the hashtag #100dayslessplastic. I am going to try and think of different ways each day but I may need help...so if you have ideas please send them to me. I recognise that I am not going to throw away my toothbrush and start brushing my teeth with a manky old stick...I want to use a plastic toothbrush. I am focusing on tasks that are small, sustainable, and part of my everyday life.
Plastic is such a massive issue for our world. It is clogging up the land and sea. When I go to a beach, go for a dive, run up a hill, I see plastic. I see it tangled up in plant life, in birds' nests, in seaweed (which of course means it is tangled up in the stomachs of marine life, birds, animals)....and probably increasingly found in our own stomachs. We all use so much plastic stuff each day without even noticing it....it is part of the fabric of our everyday lives. I can't change the world, but I can do my part. That is what Sea-Changers has always been about...individuals taking small actions, creating a community of change and together can make a big difference to our seas. So I hope my #100dayslessplastic will make a small difference that, alongside lots of other people’s small actions, will change the world.
Why not join me?
You may not be so bonkers as so tweet for 100 days about plastic reduction. But if you are I would love the company and please join me and just include the hashtag #100dayslessplastic in your tweets. But if you don’t want to do that, you can do the following:
· Post the odd tweet about how you have reduced your plastic use.
· Post on this page, or post on Sea-Changers' Facebookpage ideas or suggestions about using less plastic every day.
· Retweet my tweets (my personal handle is @IAmASeaChanger but I will also be pushing this idea thorough the Sea-Changers' handle which is @BeASeaChanger) - to encourage me but also spread the word.
· If you aren't inspired by plastic reduction, but want to do something practical for our seas, visit our website and check out our many other sea-changing ideas.
Basically give me some help, so I can successfully complete my challenge and reduce my plastic impact.
- Here we go - start off with an easy one. Reusable shopping bag for my weekly shop #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/wBth1xzIvd
- Asked the barista to fill my reusable cup with coffee #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/KI3ykzKY4e
- Does this one count ? Ate a Tunnocks Teacake for afternoon tea .... Super yummy & wrapped in foil #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/N61Jl1e2SJ
- I washed my plastic sandwich bags so I can reuse them #weirdlookingwashingline #100DaysLessPlastic pic.twitter.com/MQeUjIJ7ww
- Ditching the clingfilm & wrapping food in @OnyaBags food wrapper. #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/wT0yIQwrbE
- Keeping cool and hydrated & avoiding those plastic bottles #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/Yjcx6PcXcE
- Avoided buying lemonade in plastic bottles by getting talented chefs to make a homemade version #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/QRXC1LvRlk
- Pledging to ditch disposal hankies (wrapped in plastic) & always stick to a good old hanky #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/eqhg71FLN8
- Suggestion from
@menocats - don't use any bags when buying veg. Just weigh & put directly in bag #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/dwrJA8WTrE
- Buy big...bulk buy washing liquid etc in 25l vats from Suma
wholesale & decanter into jars" says
- Using an weigh bag from
@OnyaBags to put my loose fruit & veg in. Saves me using 10 plastic bags #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/fqWtbEmSqp
- Taking my spork everywhere I go to avoid using plastic cutlery#100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/6tLgyw9ra7
- Tried to
#Nottingham10k less plasticy but came home with all this free stuff. Failed :( #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/BvTGYSjhQP
- Checked all
my toiletries for microbeads using
#beatthemicrobead app guidance #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/aA4snUBWqs
- I'm pledging
to ditch chewing gum. Plastic product packed in more plastic
- Some great ideas for kicking the plastic habit
#100dayslessplastic http://news.distractify.com/people/unbelievably-easy-ways-to-kick-your-plastic-addiction/?v=1 …
- Composting - less waste in the bin& less plastic bin
- Ordered refills from Splosh & reduced my plastic impact.
http://splosh.com Get a £5 discount using my code ABB66F
- Buy in bulk to avoid plastic packaging
#DateMountain #100dayslessplastic . Date recipes very welcome :) pic.twitter.com/TeuU6ipL9V
- Working to make my running free from 1 use plastic.
#responsiblerunning #100dayslessplastic. Make races less plastic pic.twitter.com/HQ9MG5CzYz
- Don't like the taste of local tap water? Use a filter
#plasticreducinglifestyle #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/1E3DQ4zpVe says @
- Cardboard CD covers - that way to go towards my #100dayslessplastic ....and loving Roddy Frame pic.twitter.com/DJSaR3gDzB
- Ditching the plastic disposable pens and using my old fountain pen #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/cKv2e4vELd
- Took part in the #TAQAbeachclean today 100dayslessplastic .....in the sea. pic.twitter.com/r5eNVKz5Z6
- Going to reuse my birthday cards & avoid buying cards packed in plastic packaging . #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/fgr1XIaqRU
- Recycling to help my garden birds #100dayslessplastic. Thanks Amy for the inspiration pic.twitter.com/avBHrTef8v
- Grow your own & avoid all plastic packaging. #yummybreakfast #100dayslessplastic pic.twitter.com/3lFKkT1o9H